Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Olive Oil for Cats?

I have two cats, and I have heard that for health and coat reasons it is a good idea to mix in a little olive oil with their food.





Has anyone else done this, or does any know of any health concerns that might arise if I gave a little olive oil to my cats.





For a little information, the eldest is 18 months old and the youngest is 8 months old.Olive Oil for Cats?
Salmon oil is probably the best to use with cats as it's from a meat source. If the cats like the olive oil that would be the next best choice. Cod liver oil is not a good choice as it contains too much Vitamin A, a fat-soluble vitamin which, if given in excess, will be stored in the cat's liver and can cause problems.





When I do my raw meat diet I add one salmon oil capsule per lb. of meat. So keep the amount small whatever you use.Olive Oil for Cats?
Actually Salmon Oil or any kind of fish oil is horrible for cats, especially male cats. Any kind of seafood causes the crystals in the urine to clump up and cause uretha blockage which could kill them!!!! Stick with the olive oil Report Abuse

You've heard correctly about the health and coat benefits of giving your cats a little olive oil in their food. Just be careful not to overdo it so you don't give the cats the trots.
cod liver oil and sardines are both very good for their coats.
I've heard of it. It doesn't ring any alarm bells in particular......I'll have to research it and get back to you.





I do know that fish oil is good for the same thing. It will improve skin/coat condition, may be of help with hairballs, and might even aid digestion (all per my new vet).





I've started adding some to my two cats' diet but it's only been a couple of days so I haven't seen any change yet.





EDIT: Ok, no need to research! ';Old Cat Lady'; once again has the correct answer. You're good to go!
Olive oil is the healthiest oil in the world and there is no problem at all in giving it to your cat.
Olive oil is fairly heavy, I wouldn't use it. My vet recommends canola oil--a 1/4 teaspoon on the food twice a week. No cod liver oil, it's too heavy for cats and depleats their body of vitamin A if given on a regular basis. The liver has to process the oil being taken in and can have a hard time with the heavier oils.





Primrose oil (one caplet twice a week) or flax oil (same dose) are both lighter oils. But actually the best I've found is Derm Caps, which you can get from the vets. It's $8 for 30 caplets in my area.





But if your cats don't have dry coats or dandruff on the back or hip area, they're getting enough through what they're already eating to be ok.
The only problem I can think of is the fact that oil is very fattening. So if you do use it in their diet then make sure it is in very small amounts. Other than that I don't believe there are any health concerns.





I would have thought it would be easier for you, and better for them, to make sure that they have a very good quality complete food that contains oily fish.
if you have your cat on a good quality cat food you dont need to add extra things to their diet for skin and coat
interesting Q ,as I spilled olive oil and a cat(not mine :( ) loved it!!


good idea to mix it in with food.


also they get good omega oils in fish.salmon ect


and you will have no prob getting them to eat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment